Virgin Mobile

Problems Switching Phones; Cannot recognize the serial number and getting "Invalid SIM".

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Problems Switching Phones; Cannot recognize the serial number and getting "Invalid SIM".

Earlier yesterday morning, I got an iPhone 6S to replace my old iPhone 5S. I had everything backed up from my old phone and restored to my new 6S via iTunes. On my new phone, everything is ready; I have my Apple ID set, all my apps, etc except my service.

My old SIM card had fit perfectly in my new 6S. It did recognize the SIM card, so I was able to get through the setup process. But it gives me a "SIM Failure" notification every now and then.

On top of that, every time I restart the phone, it says "The SIM card has locked. Please power cycle the device and if the problem persists contact Customer Service." Then after that, it always says "Invalid SIM" in the corner where the Carrier Name "Virgin" used to be at. The actual carrier name does show up after a restart, but then a few moments later, it says "Invalid SIM" in that spot.

I bought the 6S on eBay just like how I did on my old phone. And previously, I contacted Virgin Mobile before buying. They said they only allow unlocked phones anywhere between the iPhone SE to the iPhone 7 Plus and it must be from AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile. So that is what I did, I bought an iPhone 6S that is unlocked from Verizon.

I erased all data and content because the phone came already setup and ready on the home screen, I set it up as a new phone, then I restored via iTunes to get all my apps etc. 

Even when I tried to input the phone's serial number/MEID/etc into my Virgin Mobile account to swap phones, it said there was an error with what I typed (and it was the right number but apparently, many people are having this problem).

3 REPLIES 3
Agent

Re: Problems Switching Phones; Cannot recognize the serial number and getting "Invalid SIM&quot

Hi there. Thank you for contacting us. You would not be able to use the olde sim card on the phone. You would need to get a new card. What is your current plan? Victor21

Enthusiast

Re: Problems Switching Phones; Cannot recognize the serial number and getting "Invalid SIM&

Yeah I already found that out, but I decided to switch. Can I get my account number?

Re: Problems Switching Phones; Cannot recognize the serial number and getting "Invalid SIM&

Hey there, thepack015! We apologize for the inconvenience at this time. We have answered your private request. We will continue to assist you via private message.