I agree with you that the situation is extremely confusing and Virgin Mobile should clearly consider providing a clear policy statement regarding unlocking policy for iPhones.
The policy should address the following separate components:
1) BYOD devices--if a BYOD device is used on the Inner Circle are there any circumstances under which it will be locked to Virgin Mobile and, if so, what is the process for unlocking for DSU and ISU?
2) In the case of iPhones purchased prior to September 28, 2017, or ordered prior to that date in the case of the iPhone 8 what exactly is the policy for both DSU and ISU if the device is placed in service on the $1/year Promotion?
3) In the case of iPhones purchases after that date and placed in service on the $1/6 months Promotion what is the policy for both DSU and ISU?
4) In the case of unlock requests that is the time taken to complete the request?
5) Where can authoritative statements regarding these policies be found on the Virgin Mobile website?
Hello there! No worries jofobu, after your iPhone is unlocked, you will not lose the service on Virgin Mobile neither your current plan when you come back to the US. For assistance in unlocking your iPhone contact us at 1- 844-604-3422.
If you purchase a device from 6/21/17 – 9/28/17:
- Phone can be unlocked after 14 days.
If you purchase a device after 9/28/17, the following rules apply:
- iPhone purchased at an Apple Store: can be unlocked after 14 days.
- iPhone purchased on the Virgin Mobile Website: all iPhones can be unlocked after 12-months, except the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, which can be unlocked after 14 days.
- All BYOD iPhones can be unlocked from day 1.
Thanks for posting this very helpful information.
Just for clarification, by unlocked do you mean only ISU or also DSU and is the treatment identical in each of the categories you have identified?
If there is a different policy for DSU, how does it operate?
Would it be possible to post this information in a pinned thread so users can find it easily until such time as the Legal Terms are updated to reflect these policies?
Thanks in advance.
Hi madra31! The time frames shown on JohnJ7's message are for DSU. International SIM unlock can be done on all iPhones after 14 days (iPhones purchased after 6/21/17 only. For iPhones purchased before that date, 12 months applies for both DSU and ISU).
Is ISU after 14 days for phones purchased after 9/28/2017 conditional by having Virgin mobile service? I.e. if I buy an iPhone now, unlock it after 14 days for ISU and cancel the service after 6 months, can this phone be used internationally?
Hi there, @satellite779! Only Virgin Mobile iPhones under the Inner Circle plan that were purchased at an Apple store can be unlocked after 14 days of usage.
This is the opposite EdmundM above wrote:
"International SIM unlock can be done on all iPhones after 14 days"
So which one is it?
When purchased on the Virgin Mobile Website or Apple store after 9/28/2017, it can be unlocked for international use after the 14th day.
buenos dias, lo siento por escribir aqui pero soy nuevo en la pagina y no hablo ingles!! me obsequiaron un iphone 5s por mi cumpleaños traido desde fuera de mi pais venezuela y quiero saber como puedo hacer para desbloquear el sim?? gracias