Virgin Mobile

iPhone swap

Whiz Kid

iPhone swap

Hey everyone

I'm a little confused on the topic of switching my service to another phone. I was given an iPhone 6 Plus from my girlfriend (she's on Verizon), and want to switch the service from my iPhone 5s to the iPhone 6 Plus. I called customer service and was told that I need to upgrade my current plan in order to switch phones. I'm not sure how SIM cards work, but shouldn't I be able to just swap out the sim card from my 5s and put it in my 6 Plus and activate that? It doesn't make sense to pay 60 additional dollars for the plan and a new sim card. 

Verizon states they do not lock their phones so you're not tied to them after your phone is paid off I guess. 

I called customer service a few times and the first man I spoke to said I can't switch phones at all. I spoke to a second woman who told me I need to upgrade to the Inner Circle plan; which don't want to do. Also, the nearest Apple store is an hour away, and I don't think I have a Virgin Mobile store anywhere close to where I live. 

3 REPLIES 3
Agent

Re: iPhone swap

Hi there! Thank you for contacting us. Currently Bring Your Own Device is only available for VMU Inner Circle Program. Could you please send us the MEID/ IMEI of the phone so that we can verify if it's compatible with our system?

Whiz Kid

I'm not sure why I need to sign up for that program. Do I need to get a new number? This is all very confusing. The phone is unlocked, it's not tied to any service. Why can't I just use the sim card in my old iPhone and activate it in the new one?

Agent

We understand your concern. Unfortunately, that we don't have another option. Currently Bring Your Own Device is only available for VMU Inner Circle Program