Virgin Mobile

Can I activate an iPhone 7 purchased from Apple?

SOLVED
Highlighted
JC
Whiz Kid

Can I activate an iPhone 7 purchased from Apple?

I currently have a Virgin Mobile account with an old iPhone. If I purchase an iPhone 7 direct from Apple, can I activate it with Virgin? I tried calling to ask customer serveice, but they haven't a clue. She just repeatedly told me to check that the phone is set for Virgin Mobile. I  pointed out that Virgin Mobile is not a carrier for which Apple sell phones, and asked if the sim-free verion could be activated, but she couldn't give me a straight answer. Smiley Sad 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rising Star

Re: Can I activate an iPhone 7 purchased from Apple?

Hello JC,

I just purchased and successfully activated an Iphone 7 plus that I purchased at the Apple Store.  It is a somewhat laborious process but it was successful.  Here are the list of steps I went through.

1.  Buy the SIM Free version of the iphone (iphone 7 or 7 plus)

2.  Call Virgin Mobile and ask them to send you a SIM card for the phone. They asked me to go back into the Apple store and get a SIM card, i had to explan to them that Apple doesn't have SIM cards for Virgin Mobile.  I ended up getting the SIM card in 2 business days.

3.  Put the SIM card in and call VM to activate.  My phone wasn't registered with them so they had to call Apple and have them release the MEID # to VM.  That took an additional 24 hours

4.  My 3rd call to VM was fairly short and sweet.  I did have to pull the SIM card back out of the phone (the one that VM sent me) and give them the SIM card #.

5.  To save time and frustration:  Have the MEID #, SIM Card # , and your passcode written on one pc of paper.

Although it was a hassle and a bit time consuming, I am still a VM fan.  They don't charge excess fees and their monthlies are still much less than the Big 3.

Regards,

Eric

Tucson

10 REPLIES
Whiz Kid

People have done it, virgin mobile says you can't but if u read in the discussions you can just make sure it's for the right kind of network.
JC
Whiz Kid

And what is the right kind of network?? Customer service are telling me that "Virgin Mobile" must be showing in Settings, but that will obviously not be the case for an unlocked phone from Apple. Why are they making this so difficult?

Agent

JC

We don't guarantee that an unlocked phone will work at all. However, if it's a Sprint phone, we can program it and make it compatible with Virgin Mobile. Hope that information helps.

EdwinRG

Social Care Agent

Rising Star

Hello JC,

I just purchased and successfully activated an Iphone 7 plus that I purchased at the Apple Store.  It is a somewhat laborious process but it was successful.  Here are the list of steps I went through.

1.  Buy the SIM Free version of the iphone (iphone 7 or 7 plus)

2.  Call Virgin Mobile and ask them to send you a SIM card for the phone. They asked me to go back into the Apple store and get a SIM card, i had to explan to them that Apple doesn't have SIM cards for Virgin Mobile.  I ended up getting the SIM card in 2 business days.

3.  Put the SIM card in and call VM to activate.  My phone wasn't registered with them so they had to call Apple and have them release the MEID # to VM.  That took an additional 24 hours

4.  My 3rd call to VM was fairly short and sweet.  I did have to pull the SIM card back out of the phone (the one that VM sent me) and give them the SIM card #.

5.  To save time and frustration:  Have the MEID #, SIM Card # , and your passcode written on one pc of paper.

Although it was a hassle and a bit time consuming, I am still a VM fan.  They don't charge excess fees and their monthlies are still much less than the Big 3.

Regards,

Eric

Tucson

Whiz Kid

If I'm already a Virgin Mobile customer with an active iphone 5, can I just call Virgin to give them the MEID#  once I get the new phone and move my sim over?

no the iucc aka sim card are tied to each phone u have to get a new card

Whiz Kid

I am considering doing this myself, buying the phone from Apple and calling VM to set it up. I'm just so tired of waiting on Virgin to get it in stock. How has yours been working so far? Any problems with Virgin after you activated it with them?

Thank you

Gabbie

Agent

Hello @g_j1s. Yes, you can activate an unlocked iPhone from the Apple store. Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) also supports/accepts NEW/USED devices that are unlocked and sold directly by device manufacturer. You can see the list here at https://www.virginmobileusa.com/support/faq/phones-devices/bring-your-own-phone.html.

Whiz Kid

That link just redirects to the support page