I currently have a Virgin Mobile account with an old iPhone. If I purchase an iPhone 7 direct from Apple, can I activate it with Virgin? I tried calling to ask customer serveice, but they haven't a clue. She just repeatedly told me to check that the phone is set for Virgin Mobile. I pointed out that Virgin Mobile is not a carrier for which Apple sell phones, and asked if the sim-free verion could be activated, but she couldn't give me a straight answer.
Solved! Go to Solution.
And what is the right kind of network?? Customer service are telling me that "Virgin Mobile" must be showing in Settings, but that will obviously not be the case for an unlocked phone from Apple. Why are they making this so difficult?
We don't guarantee that an unlocked phone will work at all. However, if it's a Sprint phone, we can program it and make it compatible with Virgin Mobile. Hope that information helps.
Social Care Agent
I just purchased and successfully activated an Iphone 7 plus that I purchased at the Apple Store. It is a somewhat laborious process but it was successful. Here are the list of steps I went through.
1. Buy the SIM Free version of the iphone (iphone 7 or 7 plus)
2. Call Virgin Mobile and ask them to send you a SIM card for the phone. They asked me to go back into the Apple store and get a SIM card, i had to explan to them that Apple doesn't have SIM cards for Virgin Mobile. I ended up getting the SIM card in 2 business days.
3. Put the SIM card in and call VM to activate. My phone wasn't registered with them so they had to call Apple and have them release the MEID # to VM. That took an additional 24 hours
4. My 3rd call to VM was fairly short and sweet. I did have to pull the SIM card back out of the phone (the one that VM sent me) and give them the SIM card #.
5. To save time and frustration: Have the MEID #, SIM Card # , and your passcode written on one pc of paper.
Although it was a hassle and a bit time consuming, I am still a VM fan. They don't charge excess fees and their monthlies are still much less than the Big 3.
If I'm already a Virgin Mobile customer with an active iphone 5, can I just call Virgin to give them the MEID# once I get the new phone and move my sim over?