Can I buy phone from apple store, but keep existing (not inner circle) plan?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Master

Can I buy phone from apple store, but keep existing (not inner circle) plan?

I am currently on the "Base Plan: $35 Unlim TalkText&Data with 5GB" and want to remain on that plan, but want to change from my current iphone SE to the iphone 7. If I buy it directly from the apple store, am I able to seamlessly swap to the new phone and keep my current plan (do NOT want inner circle), or must I buy it from VM online store to keep my old plan?

If I CAN purchase at apple store and keep my current plan:

I'm assuming they can't activate but I or they must instead call VM so that my old plan stays the active plan. If this is the case, do I have to ask apple to do anything special, like notify VM of identifying #, etc.?

Do I have to do anything special with the SIM card (ie. move the one from my SE, get something from apple/other store) to prepare for the swap?

I would able to keep my existing VM phone number as well, right?

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Agent

Re: Can I buy phone from apple store, but keep existing (not inner circle) plan?

Hi, cjcubed! that’s a good question! When you activate the phone, the system will automatically select the Inner Circle plan. If you happen to decide that the Inner Circle is not your cup of tea, have no worries! You can switch back to your previous plan, as long as it’s within 30 days of joining the Inner Circle. If you do switch to your old plan, however, please keep in mind that you’ll lose all of the awesome perks and benefits that come along with the Inner Circle.

28 REPLIES
Agent

Re: Can I buy phone from apple store, but keep existing (not inner circle) plan?

Hi, cjcubed! that’s a good question! When you activate the phone, the system will automatically select the Inner Circle plan. If you happen to decide that the Inner Circle is not your cup of tea, have no worries! You can switch back to your previous plan, as long as it’s within 30 days of joining the Inner Circle. If you do switch to your old plan, however, please keep in mind that you’ll lose all of the awesome perks and benefits that come along with the Inner Circle.

Master

Thanks for the assurance. Which phone model will I buy at the apple store for this - from what I am reading there is an A1660 and an A1778 but also hear people say they bought the 'unlocked' one there (and then had trouble activating). Is the 'unlocked' something different from the A# models I mentioned above? It appears there are some apple stores where the employees aren't trained yet in the new program, so want to make sure I am getting the right model from the start. 

Agent

You need to specify at the store that you are interested in a Inner Circle phone. Please click on the link at the end of this message to check the devices you can activate  
https://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop

Master

Got from the store and they activated successfully. For the 7, it was A1660 and they used a VM Sim card to point it to VM service.

Agent

Hey there, cjcubed!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention; let’s get you taken care of! If you, as a current VMU customer, purchase a new iPhone, it will be activated on the new Inner Circle Promotional Plan. If you want to be on your old Data Love plan instead, you can call care and switch back to your former plan within the first 30 days only. After that, the Inner Circle Member benefits begin and you will no longer be eligible to switch back to your Data Love plan. If you switch back to your Data Love plan, you will no longer be eligible for the Inner Circle promotion of 12 or 6 months of service for $1. We can also assist you via this channel if you want to change back to your Data Love plan after you switch phones. We hope this helps!

~AmyM25

Master

oh, how do I know if we got the 6 month or 12 month for $1? Never mind...logged into my account and see for plan it lists 12 month inner circle promotion.

Super Star

Welcome to the Inner Circle =)

I hope you don't find this question rude, but how do we know we can rely on this?  In the past, we have been told things by VM employees that turned out not to be true and it cost us.  VM did not care or do anything to make it right.  Really want to upgrade to a newer iphone with more memory, but do not want to lose my grandfathered plan and have no interest in joining the inner circle.
I also want to know if I can keep my plan if I buy the new iPhone from VM.  Does it matter if it's bought from VM or Apple?
If it's true that we are allowed to go back to our grandfathered plan as long as it's within 30 days of joining the inner circle, then why can't VM post something that states that clear and unequivocally on the page(s) that talk about plan choices?
Thanks for your help.
Agent

Hey CatLover! As an existing Virgin Mobile customer, if you decide that the Inner Circle just isn’t for you, you can definitely go back to your previous plan. Just contact us within 30 days of joining & we’ll switch you back! If you do switch to your old plan, please keep in mind that you’ll lose all of those amazing perks and benefits that come along with the Inner Circle.