Virgin Mobile

Can't Text SMS from iPhone to Android - was told outage, but now ...

SOLVED
Agent

Re: Can't Text SMS from iPhone to Android - was told outage, but now ...

We understand your concerns, @Epi57. Rest assured we will definitely come up with a fix as soon as possible because our dedicated team is already started working on it. Thanks.

Enthusiast

Turning off LTE is Settings does seem to "fix" this issue.

Defeats the purpose of a LTE network and hope for the sake of Virgin's support base that they get their act together to rectify this friggin issue.

Whiz Kid

Hello,

So I bought a new Xr last week, unaware of this issue. At first I was able to text non iOS phones, but in the last day or two I began to have issues, and then today seem to be completely unable.

I did not take any updates after setting up the phone when I first received it, so nothing has changed on that front. I wonder if it might location/coverage related after all?

I haven’t tried either the subject line workaround or the LTE shutoff but I guess I’ll do that if need be. Has there been any further resolution on this?
Agent

Hey there, @mkjeeves! Thanks for contacting us. After a new iOS update, iPhone devices may not be able to text Android users without adding a subject. However, that feature needs to be added, here's how:

o    Open the Settings app on iPhone.
o    Tap Messages.
o    Make sure to turn the "Send as SMS" feature, ON
o    Find Show Subject Field, toggle on.
o    Navigate back to the Messages app to see the changes.

Whiz Kid

I really wish I had known about this before. I have been struggling to try to send individual SMS messages from my new iPhone XR for a couple of months now. I had an iPhone SE prior to that and sending the messages worked just fine with the same settings I have now.

Same as others I've seen on here: 

• I can send group messages including any contacts
  • I can send iMessages
  • I can send individual Android users multimedia messages
  • When I try to send an SMS to only one Android user, I get a "Not Delivered" message

Apple told me it was a carrier issue so I just logged on and found this thread. It's not acceptable that we should have to turn off LTE or iMessaging, or use subject lines, because of this issue. I could always send to these contacts with my previous two iphones.

I've tried several troubleshooting things including resetting network settings, removing country codes/contacts/messages, toggling iMessage off and on, restarting my phone, making sure SMS, MMS, and group messaging are all set to On, etc.

I will try using the subject line until you have a fix but I just wanted to add to the chorus and say THERE NEEDS TO BE A FIX. Other than this I've been very happy with Virgin for years, but if this can't be solved so that my phone works like before I am considering switching carriers.

Enthusiast

Funny...only seems to be affecting XR's  Is anyone else having this issue on an iPhone non XR?

Apple Support is aware of this issue and says it is a problem with Virgin's network.

Virgin - this is totally unacceptable!!

Master

I have an XS and have been having the same issue for months. I just have to run in 3G which is stupid since I paid $1000 for a phone that is now slower than molasses
Agent

So sorry to hear that, @Melissayon. Let's take a closer look at this. Just to confirm, are you unable to send text messages to Android users? If yes, have you tried filling the Subject line before sending the message? 

Highlighted
Master

Yes but I should not have to type a subject in every text message. That is a pain as well
Agent

We can clearly see how this is inconvenient for you. Please, accept our apologies. Unfortunately, this seems to be a new feature included on the most recent IOS Software update created by Apple and we're unable to override it. We advise you to contact Apple support for further information about this.