Virgin Mobile

Can't Text SMS from iPhone to Android - was told outage, but now ...

SOLVED
Master

Re: Can't Text SMS from iPhone to Android - was told outage, but now ...

IT SEEMS TO BE FIXED NOW - AFTER MONTHS AND MONTHS!! YAY I am able to text normally to Android users from my XS, no subject line needed any longer.

Master

Really??? Did you have to do the latest update? I have been scared to do it
Enthusiast

Let me start off by saying that I have an iPhone XR & I've read through all 10 pages (so far) of this thread.

Working in IT, it's laughable to see all of the support reps plugging the same BS responses over and over, when folks are clearly describing the issue & what they've done in an attempt to resolve it.

I'll try to outline as many details of my issue as I can, to avoide such a generic response. Here goes:

I bought my iPhone XR through Virgin Mobile's site directly, about two weeks ago. Everything with getting the new device configured & activated was flawless. Immediately after activating the new phone (transferring my service from a VM iPhone 5s), I tested calling & texting. However, the initial text I sent was via iMessage (blue-colored)... so it went through (over LTE). Since the initial activation, I've been able to RECEIVE non-iMessage SMS messages (green-colored) just fine. I discovered that I could not SEND non-iMessage texts just the other day, nearly two weeks after purchasing the new iPhone XR (it was one of those "reply 'yes' to accept" texts). If I try to, it immediately says "Not Delivered" with a red exclamation mark.

Reading through this thread, I tried all of the suggested solutions & found that I can only send non-iMessage (SMS) messages when the following conditions are met:

"Enable LTE" is OFF under Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options

AND/OR

"Show Subject Field" is ON under Settings > Messages (keep in mind you need to put in ANY character in the subject field, even a blank space, for the message to be successsfully sent)

In my opinion, the subject field workaround is the better option, as that does not limit your data speeds. That being said, it's been nearly 3 months since this issue was first discovered by VM users, and it's dragging on to this day. The majority of my contacts use iMessage, so this isn't as detrimental of an issue to me as it is to other users in this thread, but I figured I'd take the time to inquire when Virgin Mobile foresees this being fixed?

I've been a VM customer for over 5 years now, and I'm in the "VIP" program. This issue is affecting Apple's flagship phones. I paid $700 for this new phone. I expect that when I send a text message, it will go through. I did not see any other carriers expericing this issue. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, VIRGIN MOBILE!

Whiz Kid

How did you manage it to work?
Enthusiast

Hey booga,

The only workaround for this is to ensure:

"Enable LTE" is OFF under Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options

AND/OR

"Show Subject Field" is ON under Settings > Messages (keep in mind you need to put in ANY character in the subject field, even a blank space, for the message to be successsfully sent)

Virgin Mobile will not acknowledge that it's a known issue with their service.  I have an open ticket with them now.  I requested that they send me a replacement SIM card, but apparently they're all out of stock... so essentially if any VM customer's SIM card were to be defective at the current time, they'd be completely out of luck & out of service. I'm sorry to say, but VM is really dropping the ball here. Such an issue should be prioritized & resolved in a timely manner- this has been ongoing for 3+ months now. Really keeping my fingers crossed for a fix, since I know my phone is not defective & literally every other feature is functional.

Whiz Kid

I have Sprint, and iphoneXs same thing, carrier says Apple .. wife has X and no problem.. it's been a pain. reboot and it will work sometimes. working with apple on this, so far no answers. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast

After being issued & replacement SIM card for my iPhone XR & getting it swapped & activated, I am pleased to report that I can now send SMS messages over LTE!  All other features - calling, iMessage, FaceTime, etc. - continue to work without issues.  Something I noticed after installing the new SIM is that the network/carrier under Settings >> General >> About now indicates "Virgin" -- it said "Sprint" with the factory-installed SIM card.

For anyone else expericing this issue (unable to send SMS messages, but all other features work, including receiving SMS, and sending/receiving iMessages), I'd suggest requesting a replacment SIM card from Virgin Mobile -- especially if your network/carrier says "Sprint" in your iPhone's settings.  Good luck!

Whiz Kid

You wasted your time with the sim card my friend. When you ordered the sim card, your carrier realized that they had "Short Messages"

disabled on your account. Then by the time youj inserted your new sim card, it was already corrected on their end. Carriers do not like to admit they make mistakes, however this issue with iphones not texting to android phones is 99% of the time a carrier boo boo. Once you find a tech that takes the time to find "Short Messages" on your account, and then sees that is is disabled, your problem is solved.