Virgin Mobile

Can't Text SMS from iPhone to Android - was told outage, but now ...

Enthusiast

Can't Text SMS from iPhone to Android - was told outage, but now ...

I got a brand new iPhone XS last Sunday. Set it up, fired off a few texts to friends -- those who have iPhones received them. Android friends did not. I got a "not delivered" message. 

I chatted with Virgin via FB and was told there was an outage in my neighborhood. The outage occurred for almost an entire week, until tonight when I texted them via FB to follow up on the outage and was told the outage is no longer present in my area. 

However, I still cannot send text messages to Android phones. 

I have already done a hard reboot. They want me to dial ##873283# and hit "OK" on the status update. I do hit "OK" but then nothing happens.

Now, they're telling me to come here and inquire. 

Any idea what is happening and what to do??

37 REPLIES
Master

Re: Can't Text SMS from iPhone to Android - was told outage, but now ...

Apple says it's a carrier issue. Virgin has no idea how to fix it. It started happening after the last Apple update.

I found a workaround. Go into your messages settings and turn on subject. Then always include a subject when sending to Androids - will work everytime. The exception is to companies. Like when my doctor texted to confirm receiving texts, the subject thing didn't work. Neither did a Fed Ex text. But for friends, it's worked every time. It's a major pain and I wish Virgin would acknowledge it's on their end and fix it. None of my iphone friends with different carriers have this problem!

Cindy

Enthusiast

unfortunately i tried this and it didn't work for me. but thanks for your input! 

Whiz Kid

I just got the new iphone XR yesterday and I'm having the same problem. I talked to two different people from virgin and they both basically said it is an issue with all iphone Xs and that they are trying to work with apple to get it fixed, but have no idea when that may happen. I have decided to switch carriers because of this.

Whiz Kid

I am having the same problem with the iPhone XR.

I can send/receive MMS.

I can send/recieve iMessage.

I can receive SMS.

I CANNOT send SMS.

I also did all the carrier reset and update steps, nothing.

I called Virgin Mobile customer care, and they won't help me.

I am a 10 year customer who is very unhappy.

One other thing I noticed is that after I hang up a phone call, I can send a text for about 30 seconds, then it goes back to failing, def a carrier issue.

Agent

Hi kevbot9192! Thanks for contacting us. We're happy to help you. Did you switch phones recently? ~AmyM25

Whiz Kid

Yes I recently activated an iPhone XR, and updated to the latest IOS/

Agent

Hey there! Thanks for letting us know. Can you private message us your account details, so we can look into it? To send a Private Message, click my username or picture, then click "send this user a private message". Thanks! ~AmyM25

Agent

Can you please let us know if you had any of this issues prior to the IOS update? Can you please let us know what’s your nearest cross street address and ZIP Code?

Enthusiast

Having the same issue with my brand new iPhone XR that a lot of savings were spent on. SO disappointed and strongly considering changing carriers.