Virgin Mobile

Can't send text to SMS phones on new iphone.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Can't send text to SMS phones on new iphone.

So I had this total nightmare trying to set up my upgrade from a 5s, to and SE. But at last I got my SIM card, got it activated, and I'm mostly in business. Phone calls, GPS, web browsing while not on WIFI are all good.

However when I try to text my partner, who is on another net work and doesn't use imessages, my phone behaves the way it does when I'm somewhere where the network is really poor. That is it accepts the text, then the progress bar moves very slowly and usually quits just before the end. It's like someone riding a bike up a steep hill. The I get "message not delivered". I've tried it on and off WIFI, and where i have poor service (one bar) and strong service (5 bars).

If I can't fixes this, I'll need to bail on Virgin and go to another network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Agent

Re: Can't send text to SMS phones on new iphone.

Understood. Existing customers can't activate unlocked devices. We can't guarantee that it will work properly. Please send us a private message with your phone number, PIN code, IMEI, and the ICCID/SIM card number.

8 REPLIES 8
Agent

Hey there! We are sorry for the inconvenience. Allow us to help you. Does this happen with only that person or any non-iPhone user? Did you verify the Send as SMS option is turned on? 

Enthusiast

Yes have tried turning MMS off and back on. Have power cycled phone.  The problem only started when I switched to a new phone. Also I can include this person on group text, but directly texting him (directly from a previous thread) alwasy gets an not delivered message.

Agent

Hi there kkeo. Is the issue only with one contact?  if so, remove it from your contact list altogether and send a test imputing the number directly. Also, are you using an iPhone or Android? Conversely, what type of phone the other party is using? 

Enthusiast

So far only with my partner. He's got an iphone but it's a 4 so I think it doesn't use true IMessages.  I had no problems texting him before the recent activation of my new phone.

I deleted the contact. No effect.

Agent

Is it a Virgin Mobile iPhone or an unlocked device?

Enthusiast

Unlocked, like the previous one.

Agent

Understood. Existing customers can't activate unlocked devices. We can't guarantee that it will work properly. Please send us a private message with your phone number, PIN code, IMEI, and the ICCID/SIM card number.

Enthusiast

This is 

A) Rude

B) Total BS. 

I suggest you read my other help topic about having to talk to 6 or so reps who managed to tell me 5 or 6 different things about the process of doing so. Despite this none of them told me what I was doing was not possible. And in fact they eventually did activated. Going look at the new topic list, and see just how many of them are activation problems.  You guys have a problem, and trying to shunt it off on the customers by making it seem like their equipement is the problem is as old as the hills, and lousy customer service.