Virgin Mobile

Cellular Update Failed makes no service + locked sim after trying to swap device

Whiz Kid

Cellular Update Failed makes no service + locked sim after trying to swap device

My iphone 7 has been 'searching' on the upper top left corner for a cellular signal where it usually says 'virgin'. When it finishes 'searching', it says 'no service'. The thing that pops up is 'Cellular Update Failed. Your iphone cannot make and recieve calls or access cellular data until it has been updated'. I cannot update my phone because it says no updates are found. This is incredibly frusturating, even more so when I tried to swap my device with an older phone I used in the past (iphone 5s) so I can figure what was going on with the 'no service' later, but then the sim got locked while I was swapping phones. Before the sim got locked while I was doing the 'swap a device' on my account, the while I input my iccid, the website said it was already in use.

I'm confused and frusturated and I need a working phone for work. I've been with Virgin Mobile for a long time, and had another account back in 2012, so I'm a loyalist. But I will change carriers if I cannot get help with this asap.

3 REPLIES 3
Agent

Re: Cellular Update Failed makes no service + locked sim after trying to swap device

Sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing this issue, leonum. To research further, can you send us the cross streets and ZIP codes where this occurs? 

Whiz Kid

Re: Cellular Update Failed makes no service + locked sim after trying to swap device

I am having the same problem. iPhone 7, Model A1660. It lost service after an update and will regain it for a few seconds if I restart my network setting, but will lose it shortly after.

Agent

Hi there! Apple reported that a small percentage of iPhone 7 devices experienced a component fail on the main logic board, causing the device to show “No Service” even if cellular coverage was available. For more information, please refer to https://www.apple.com/support/iphone-7-no-service/. We recommend you to contact or visit an Apple store for further assistance on this.