Virgin Mobile

Customer Service refused to unlock phone without cancelling number

SOLVED
Highlighted
Whiz Kid

Customer Service refused to unlock phone without cancelling number

I have an old iphone 5s I'd like to unlock and called customer service to do it. They claim that it is not possible to unlock without losing my existing number. Is this the case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Agent

Re: Customer Service refused to unlock phone without cancelling number

Hi, @northwest1! We apologize for this experience. If your phone meets eligibility, it can be unlocked. Please send us a Private Message with your phone number and PIN so we can take look. 

You can send a private message by clicking on my name, then selecting the message option from the profile page.

3 REPLIES
Wizard

If you are talking about a phone that is currently active on Virgin Mobile there must be some misunderstanding..

There is no connection between a phone being locked or unlocked and the phone number.

If you are talking about a phone that is not currently active it has no number associated with it.

Whiz Kid

The phone is currently has an active Virgin account. Let me quote the rep: "Because the phone has an active account on it, I can not unlock it. You will have to cancel the existing account before I can do that."

Me: "But then I will lose my number"

Rep: "Correct. There is nothing I can do"

This seems like a marketing ploy to stop me from moving to another provider.

Agent

Hi, @northwest1! We apologize for this experience. If your phone meets eligibility, it can be unlocked. Please send us a Private Message with your phone number and PIN so we can take look. 

You can send a private message by clicking on my name, then selecting the message option from the profile page.