Virgin Mobile

Device Swap Problem - iPhone XR

Whiz Kid

Device Swap Problem - iPhone XR

I just bought an XR to upgrade from my SE, but cannot get the device to swap over! I’ve been trying for an hour and a half and no dice. When I try to activate through the site, I get the red spinning wheel of death after I select that I want to keep my number. I waited 15 minutes and nothing happened. So I tried selecting a new number, but then it was rejecting me because it said I had the wrong pin and birthday.

I’m very frustrated—tried calling the help line and the robot won’t let me talk to a human because I can’t talk to anyone from the phone number I’m trying to switch from! That’s stupid—this is the only phone I own and I live alone, so there is no other way for me to call. I submitted a help form but won’t get help for 24 hours.

Someone please help me!!

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Whiz Kid

Re: Device Swap Problem - iPhone XR

I'm not going to be any help at all and I'll apologize for that in advance. I just wanted to say that I'm literally having the same exact problem right now (right down to the swap from SE to XR) and it's absolutely infuriating. First, it took weeks for the website to cooperate enough to let me order the phone and now that I actually have it, I can't even activate it.

Whiz Kid

Exactly!! It took me 3 tries to buy this phone before the order went through. Then, I paid $5 extra for one day delivery and it wasn’t delivered until today (5 days later). If I knew it would be this much trouble to swap, I would’ve put in a ticket earlier so someone would contact me... 

Whiz Kid

Well, over 24 hours and still no help from anyone at Virgin Mobile! It seems that the “social agents” are responding to all other posts and ignoring this one.

Someone named “Carlos” responded to my email, saying he would help me. I responded quickly and 7 hours later, nothing has changed. This is absolutely ridiculous, I have been a customer for over a decade.
Agent

Hey, bgossling! Response time depends on our agent’s availability. Let’s take a closer look at this. Can you private message us the details so we can work through this.

Enthusiast

were you able to transfer service to the iPhone XR? Seems like a lot of users are having the same issue.  

Agent

Hey there @scattaway Are you having issues with your activation?

~JoyP.

Enthusiast

Yes, I was not able to switch online, multiple errors.  Called tech support last night and they said I need to order a new SIM that is compatible with the XR, but I dont want to spend another $10 just to find out it wont work according to numerous posts in this forum.  I am trying to switch from 6S to XR on the $35 monthly 10GB plan.  The XR was purchased unlocked from the Apple store.  

Agent

We apologize for the inconvenience! In this case you will need to purchase the new SIM card, so the device can be activated.

~JoyP.

Enthusiast

Thanks but I would like to know if anyone else has been sucessful in swapping out their old iPhone to the iPhone XR while keeping their existing number and service.  I just paid for this month a few days ago.