Virgin Mobile

Device Swap Problem

Whiz Kid

Device Swap Problem

Hello, I just bought an unlocked iPhone 8 with new Sim card to replace my 6s. I'm getting an error message when I try to do the swap online. I tried to call to speak with someone but I'm only receiving the automated guide. Also, under the bring my own device page on the website it says my phone is good to go, but when I put my number in it says I can not transfer the number. Since I'm already a customer and will simply be switching iPhones, why is it telling me this?
5 REPLIES 5
Agent

Re: Device Swap Problem

Hello. Unfortunately, unlocked phones can not be activated on existing accounts. The Bring Your Own iPhone program is only available on new activations. That device can not be activated on your existing account at the moment.

Whiz Kid

Hi,

Can you help me understand. I might be having the same problem as this person. I have a iphone 7 that is verified unlocked by AT&T but I keep getting an error message. When I called and spoke two representatives told it was because it was still locked. I can tell it is not locked because the error message says "not compatible" whereas when I put in another IMEI that I know is locked, it says it is locked. 

Still, I cannot seem to swap to this phone for my son. The website says you can bring iphones. So does this mean even though I've been a otherwise happy and loyal customer for years, I cannot upgrade my son's existing phone to a gently used iphone 7 that my sister gave him? This is very disappointing. If my choice is to buy a new phone or switch carriers for him, I may have do switch carriers. Please advise if there is a solution! 

Agent

Hey there @km501 We apologize for the inconvenience. Would you please send us a private message with the device IMEI?

Note: For you to send a me a Private Message only need to click on my username, which will  take to my profile, once you're there on the right side of the screen you will see the  option to send me a Message. 

~JoyP.

Whiz Kid

Hi, 

When clicking on the link to your profile, on the right, there is no option to message you. It shows not online, so do you need to be online for the message to be sent? 

Is there anywhere that can explain if there are iphones that aren't compatible? It it only an option if you aren't already a customer? 

Again, I have the email from AT&T that this device and the correct IMEI are unlocked, yet Virgin said the message that is wasn't compatiable means it is still locked. I think there must be some other reason it isn't working. 

Thanks - - - 

Hello @km501. We are here to help! Please try sending us a private message clicking on my username.