Virgin Mobile

I returned my phone and now VM is refusing to refund the money.

Highlighted
Whiz Kid

I returned my phone and now VM is refusing to refund the money.

My husband and I bought him an iPhone 6s. It was not as advertised, so we returned it within the return period. It was actually mailed out about an hour after it arrived. Over a week later, we called VM to see if they received the phone. The representative said no. We then checked the tracking information and it said it'd been received over a week ago. We called again and now it had magically been received. We were told that the refund had been expedited and should be in our account within 24 hours. 4 days later we called back because we'd still not received the refund. We were told it would be 48 hours. 3 days after that we called again because we still had not received the refund. Now, they're claiming it was processed on Virgin Mobile's end on the 26th, but our bank does not show it as pending and it is now the 29th. 

How do you actually get a refund when Virgin Mobile representatives repeatedly lie to you? We've spent hours on the phone at this point and are furious. 

12 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: I returned my phone and now VM is refusing to refund the money.

Your frustration is very understandable.

This should be an automatic process rather than an ordeal.

Realistically, there is nothing more you can do in the short run other than allowing the process to work.  It is very likely you will receive the refund as you have been told.

If for any reason you do not, or you consider the delay to be excessive, your best course of action is to file a Notice of Dispute as described in the link below.

That will certainly get the issue resolved but the chances are it will resolve itself without any further action on your part.

https://www.virginmobileusa.com/legal#terms-and-conditions

Whiz Kid

I am currently in the same boat as you. Returned a preowned iPhone 6s the same day it arrived. That was three weeks ago today. I was initially told to expect a refund within 72 hours of them receiving it. I kept a close eye on the shipment tracking and started the clock as soon as it was verified delivered. Of course, no refund after 3 days. Then began the calls... The first customer service representative took my tracking number and verified VM received the returned phone and would start the refund process. He told me to expect the refund within 24 hours. Still, nothing. So I called again. The next person told me they had to send the info to their finance "back office," which takes 7-10 business days. At the same time, I reached out to VM on Facebook. They replied that it could take up to 14 business days. 

As of today which is way beyond 14 business days, I still have yet to see a refund. I called this morning and they gave me a case number and said to wait another 72 hours for them to look into it. Virgin Mobile's customer service is absolutely horrible. I even had to google how to actually talk to a human being (keep pressing 0). Once I receive this refund (fingers crossed) I will no longer continue to be a VM customer.

Whiz Kid

Ours was a pre-owned 6s as well. Was yours broken upon receipt too?
Whiz Kid

The reasoning for my return was because I made the mistake of not researching the difference between refurbished and preowned. My newfound knowledge of preowned is they basically check to make sure it works and box it up to resell. I was thinking they put a new battery in as well, but apparently that's only refurbished products. The main reason I purchased it in the first place was to replace my iPhone 6 which has some major battery issues. However, after doing even more research I found the 6s had the same battery problems.

Enthusiast

Did you ever received your money back? I’m in the same situation as you. I have called so many times and they kept telling me to wait. At this point I don’t even know what to do. Please help
Agent

Hey there, @bdelcm_24! Looks like we’ll need to do some investigating. Can you private message us your phone number so that we can verify your account first? Thanks!

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

@Carol21
571 991 5425
Agent

Hi there, csbartles276. Thanks for contacting us.

We'll be happy to help. We'd like to have a look at the account. Please, send us a private message with your phone number and PIN.