Virgin Mobile

Inner Circle iPhone 7 Plus locked or unlocked? GSM/CDMA issue

SOLVED
Whiz Kid

Inner Circle iPhone 7 Plus locked or unlocked? GSM/CDMA issue

I am an AT&T customer interested in joining the Inner Circle. I want to buy an iPhone 7 Plus for this, but am afraid it will only work on CDMA networks. I need the phone to be unlocked and work on GSM networks too because I travel frequently. Now, since I'd have to pay the full price at once, I assume I'd be getting the unlocked version of the 7 Plus, which does work with both CDMA and GSM. But I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Inner Circle iPhone 7 Plus locked or unlocked? GSM/CDMA issue

Hey everyone, to avoid any further confusion (sorry!), this thread is getting locked.

But unlike the thread, we can unlock your phone if you are an Inner Circle member, anytime after your first 14 days of service. Simply reach out to us via FB or Twitter.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Found a helpful, funny or interesting post? Give it a “Kudo” to say thanks.
Did my reply answer your question? Hit “Accepted Solution” to help other Community members find it.
42 REPLIES
Agent

Thanks for contacting us, fernandezer.

No, the cellphones are blocked, and you'd have to have it activated for 12 months at least to be eligible to unlock.

We remain at your service. Please, let us know if you have any question.

Whiz Kid

Is this true for the Inner Circle offer as well? Surprising, considering I'd be paying the phone in one payment and will not be financing...

Agent

Yes, it's the same for the Inner Circle. You can find about the unlock policy in the following link:

https://community.virginmobileusa.com/t5/Android-Devices/Unlocked-Phone-Same-SIM/td-p/233

Whiz Kid

So let me get this straight: You are offering perks that would be redeemable for a trip to the UK in this new plan, but we cannot use our cell phone FROM YOU when going there because they are locked to CDMA only for the first year?

Agent

Remember that we don't have coverage outside US territory. As for the cellphone, you'd have to have it activated for 12 months at least to be eligible to unlock.

After a year of activation the phone is eligible to be unlocked.

ms
Whiz Kid

Same here - I travel a lot and use different SIM cards in other countries. This doesn't make any sense to be honest - you are only charging $1 - why would anyone want to leave the "free" plan unless the service is poor in which case they paid the phone in full and should be able to switch the provider. 

I have 3 questions:

1) I noticed I can buy the iPhone also at the Apple store. Clearly, the phone bought at the Apple store should be unlocked? Or is there a specific deal between Virgin and Apple that prevents Apple from selling the unlocked devices?

2) Is the iPhone GSM or CDMA version?

3) Service around my house is poor so I use wi-fi calling all the time which works great. Does Virgin Mobile support wi-fi calling as well?

Thanks!

Highlighted

the phone would still be locked to virgin for a yr 

it would be a cmda model 

virgin doesnt offer wifi call and they use sprint native network 

Training and QA Coordinator

While it is true that Virgin Mobile currently does not support International Roaming, when you take advantage of the Virgin Atlantic ticket and you travel internationally Virgin would be happy to perform an international unlock so that you can pop in an international sim card. Then when you come home you can put your Virgin Mobile sim card right back in.

Agent

Hi fernandezer

Our phones have a network lock enabled for the time it's active with us. So they will only work on the CDMA network. Please see below our DSU policy.

GENERAL ELIGIBILITY FOR UNLOCKING

- The device has not been reported as lost or stolen or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
- The device has been active on the associated account for at least 12 months with the account active at that time

We hope this information answers your question. -Edwin R.