Virgin Mobile

International SIM card for iPhone 8

SOLVED
Whiz Kid

International SIM card for iPhone 8

I am traveling abroad and would like to use my recently purchased iphone 8 (purchased through Virgin). Do I need to do anything other than installing an international SIM? Is there a list of international networks which are known to work on Virgin devices? I have seen many older topics in the forums with people complaining that various international SIMs did not work even after making sure their phone was unlocked, etc. 

Does anyone have some recent advice on all of this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Agent

Re: International SIM card for iPhone 8

Hello. Our devices are locked to our network. You would need to meet the requirement to have the device unlocked before it can be used on other carriers. In order to be eligible, you must have used that device on an account with the same owner for at least 12 months in total (does not require continuous activation). If you meet this requirement, feel free to send us a private message so we may submit your unlock request.

You can send a private message by clicking on an agent's name, then selecting the message option from the profile page.

3 REPLIES 3
Agent

Hello. Our devices are locked to our network. You would need to meet the requirement to have the device unlocked before it can be used on other carriers. In order to be eligible, you must have used that device on an account with the same owner for at least 12 months in total (does not require continuous activation). If you meet this requirement, feel free to send us a private message so we may submit your unlock request.

You can send a private message by clicking on an agent's name, then selecting the message option from the profile page.

Whiz Kid

Unfortunately, as the above message indicates, as of now, it seems that when you purchase a phone from Virgin, it can only be unlocked after one year. There are various threads which mention 14 days, but that does not apply in my case (not sure when it does). It would be easy enough for Virgin to simply post the precise policy under FAQs or somewhere else, and would have saved me several days of back and forth private messages. 

Uh oh! That’s not what we like to hear. We’re looking into it & hope to get this fixed as soon as possible!