Virgin Mobile

Is iPhone CDMA or GSM version?

SOLVED
Enthusiast

Is iPhone CDMA or GSM version?

I would like to know of the iPhone Virgin Mobile selling is GSM compatible? so i can use the iphone when im overseas because most countries are using GSM especially in Asia. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Heavy Hitter

Re: Is iPhone CDMA or GSM version?

dbaet09 wrote:

I would like to know of the iPhone Virgin Mobile selling is GSM compatible? so i can use the iphone when im overseas because most countries are using GSM especially in Asia. Thank you.

That is an excellent question.  My understanding is that iPhones are *all* capable of CDMA/GSM.  The trick is for them to be unlocked by the carrier.  If you buy your phone from Apple, it will be unlocked.  If you buy from VM, you will have to have them unlock it after a certain period of time.

-----------------------------------------------
*Not a Virgin Mobile employee.
15 REPLIES
Heavy Hitter

dbaet09 wrote:

That is an excellent question.  My understanding is that iPhones are *all* capable of CDMA/GSM.  The trick is for them to be unlocked by the carrier.  If you buy your phone from Apple, it will be unlocked.  If you buy from VM, you will have to have them unlock it after a certain period of time.

-----------------------------------------------
*Not a Virgin Mobile employee.
Enthusiast

Thanks Bro, I appreciate your help! Smiley Happy

Maybe i will just get the phone at the apple store. I want the versatility of the unlocked phones.

EC
Enthusiast

IPHONE HAS TWO MODELS ONE OF THEM DOES NOT HAVE THE QUALCOM CDMA MODEM.

COULD SOMEONE FROM VIRGIN PLEASE ANSWER THE ORIGINAL POSTERS QUESTION?

IT'S A VERY SIMPLE STRAIT FORWARD QUESTION. IN ORDER TO WORK ON THE SPRINT/VERIZON NETWORK YOU NEED THE CDMA MODEL.

THIS STILL LEAVES THE QUESTION OF WHETHER THE VIRGIN PHONE WILL BE UNLOCKED FOR USE ON A GSM NETWORK SUCH AS AT&T, TMOBILE OR MORE IMPORTANTLY INTERNATIONALLY WHERE GSM NETWORKS MIGHT BE USED.

CAN I GET THIS ANSWERED BY SOMEONE WITH VIRGIN?

WILL THE PHONE BE UNLOCKED FOR GSM AND CDMA NETWORKS?

Agent

Hello! Thank you very much for contacting us. In order to be part of our company, it is recommended to purchase the phone by visiting our online account at: www.virginmobileusa.com, since we have a new partnership with Apple, you can also purchase the phone at your nearest Apple store, they'll be able to help without any issues. If unlocked, the phone will be compatible with both networks, GSM & CDMA.

Whiz Kid

I have just received my ordered Iphone 6 and ported my number to Inner circle plan. 

I am a frequesnt global traveler so have follwing question - 

1. Can I get my iphone6 unlock?

2. Will it work on other GSM networks because I need to use other countries SIM cards while being out of USA?

3. After unlocking (and coming back to USA) will I be able to use Virgin Mobile Inner circle (my existing plan) with my iphone.

6. Does the Iphone6 have inbuilt sim card or the removable Installed sim card?

7. If Yes, can the sim card work on another iphone.

Enthusiast

I am following! Would like to know that too! I called VM yesterday to unlock my phone in order to use it in Europe . They said it is unlocked now, but won't know until I am in Europe I guess. How can I be sure that it is unlocked???
Please help!
Agent

Hi Eve-Lin!

Our devices will continue to work normally after being unlocked, so you'll not be able to tell one from the other. If you need an extra assurance, you may send us your device IMEI number on a private message, so we can check. We'll be glad to help.

EdwinRG.

Whiz Kid

After Unlocking from Virgin Mobile, Will it support only CDMA? or Will it support both GSM and CDMA?

Wizard

The unlock will be both domestic and international and thus should work on any domestic or international carrier provided it has the required bands.

There is one caveat and that is some MVNOs have their own whitelisting rules.