Virgin Mobile

My SIM card for unlocked iPhone

SOLVED
Highlighted
Whiz Kid

My SIM card for unlocked iPhone

Could I get an unlocked iPhone from Apple and use my virgin mobile SIM card in it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Wizard

Re: My SIM card for unlocked iPhone

The short answer is "no."

The long answer is if you deactivate both your IMEI and ICCID on Virgin Mobile then the sim card can be used in a different phone.

Whether Vigin Mobile would authorize the new iPhone with the old sim card on its network cannot be known until it is attempted.  In principle it could work but the IMEI would need to be whitelisted and there is no way to know that in advance of trying it.

For carriers that operate on the Sprint network it is not usually a good idea to try to reuse sims on different phones.

The bottom line is if you get a new phone you should get a new sim and Apple does provide one free of charge.

2 REPLIES
Wizard

The short answer is "no."

The long answer is if you deactivate both your IMEI and ICCID on Virgin Mobile then the sim card can be used in a different phone.

Whether Vigin Mobile would authorize the new iPhone with the old sim card on its network cannot be known until it is attempted.  In principle it could work but the IMEI would need to be whitelisted and there is no way to know that in advance of trying it.

For carriers that operate on the Sprint network it is not usually a good idea to try to reuse sims on different phones.

The bottom line is if you get a new phone you should get a new sim and Apple does provide one free of charge.

Whiz Kid

Thank you, and yes I'll just get a new SIM card anyway.