Virgin Mobile

New phone can’t be activated.

Enthusiast

New phone can’t be activated.

Bought a used iphone7 from the website to replace my old phone.  

Customer service moved service to the new phone; however, it had never worked and has only show ‘No Service’ for the last week since I revieved it.  Customer Service says this is because of a tower down in my area, so no new phone can be activated.  Why wouldn’t they check this before attempting to switch service?  

I’ve been without any phone for a week but was just charged again (an accidental double charge, on top of that) for an upcoming month of service that no one is able to tell me when will start.  

Also so if this issue is a tower in my area, how come I haven’t been able to turn my phon on when I leave the city either?  Is this that far reaching?  I was told when the tower becomes operational that my phone will automatically start working, but it doesn’t work anywhere.  

So I’m out the price of a phone and the price of two months service and no answers on when and if it will be resolved or further information.  Feeling a little scammed to say the least.  

3 REPLIES 3
Agent

Re: New phone can’t be activated.

Hello, hellaine. Thank you for contacting us. So sorry to hear about this experience. We want to help! Would you mind sending us a private message with your phone number, pin code and address to review this?

Enthusiast

An update, and warning, for anyone else who might be in the same situation.

In the end, it turns out I had purchased been sent a non-working pre-loved iPhone 7. Unfortunately, phone customer service kept telling me my phone couldn’t be activated because of tower maintenance in my area. They told me this could take days and every day I kept calling it was still under maintenance.

I was also told I need to switch my plan and pay for it, since this was a different phone than what I had, and that even when the tower came up my phone would not work unless I changed my plan to a more expensive one. So I paid for the new plan and was ‘accidentally’ double charged by Virgin Mobile.

Customer service told me they would immediately refund the double charge but did not. My credit card company charged back the money to me due to suspicious behavior. A week after that, Virgin refunded me the money back—even though it had already been charged back. They then suspended my entire account due to non-payment.

No service on my new phone went on about a week, after which I was told they couldn’t tell why the phone wasny working and escalated me to tech support. Tech support sent me to Apple where I learned the phone was defective. Unfortunately, because 7 days had passed of me being told everything was fine until the tower worked, I was unable to get a refund on the phone.

Customer support here at the forum (who was much more helpful than phones, to their credit) helped me to get my old phone turned back on but, as stated before, it was suspended a few days later for non-payment. My card was then charged again (and accepted) for a month of service but the service was and still hasn’t been turned on.

So in the end, I’m out the price of an iPhone and the price of almost two months of service paid for but never used. Also lost my grand-fathered in pricing (I’ve been a member for almost ten years) because of being made to switch my plan for a phone I never was able to use once.

Anyway I’ve been happy with Virgin Mobile up until now and being as I still am without service (weeks later), I’m sort of forced to leave as a customer and go elsewhere. Everyone in the household has phone with Virgin Mobile also (which DO work), but I’ll move them with me on principle. Sucks.
Agent

Hello, hellaine. We're sorry to hear about this experience. We will continue to assist you via private message. Thanks.