Virgin Mobile

New phone - old SIM card

Highlighted
Whiz Kid

New phone - old SIM card

Hi, I tried to put my existing virgin SIM card in my new phone (unlocked, purchased from apple direct) but it doesn´t work. Says SIM locked or SIM Invalid. What do I need to do? And I pls need my "old" iphone I purchased through Virgin unlocked so I can pass it on. Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Agent

Re: New phone - old SIM card

Hey there, @path! Thanks for reaching out to us. We will need to activate the device, but is it a Virgin Mobile device you purchased from Apple? We believe you purchased an unlocked device. You can check the eligibility here: https://www.virginmobileusa.com/plans/bring-your-device.html.

Whiz Kid

Hi Jeff,

1) my iphone is unlocked and I purchased it directly from apple. I thought that unlocked means I can use it with every carrier.. When I check the link you mentioned it says that I need a new number from virgin, which doesn´t make sense. I have a number and SIM card from virgin I just want to put that SIM card in the new phone. Pls let me know what I have to do.

Agent

We understand your concerns. Please be advised that you won't be able to bring your own device as an existing customer. Also, if the phone is compatible, you will need to buy the SIM card in order to get it activated. 

Whiz Kid

Ok, but can I keep my existing phone number when I order a new SIM card and use it on the new device or does it come with a new number?

Agent

Hi there Path. Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, the bring your own phone is not supported with existing accounts. To bring your own phone, a port in of a new number is required. As an existing account holder, you would need an actual Virgin mobile phone not an unlocked device. 

Whiz Kid

That is unfortunate.. Just thinking about my possibilities now: can I then use the phone I purchased with virgin 2 years ago get unlocked so I could use it with another carrier or can I only use that phone with virgin now?

We really want to help you with this, path! If your device qualifies, we can send the request to get it unlocked. Though we can not assure the device will be able to work with other carriers.

Whiz Kid

ok thanks. please unlock then my device. What do you need from me?

Best regards, Patrizia

Agent

HI there, @path. Please send us a private message with your phone number, pin and MEID number.