Virgin Mobile

Only new customers are eligible to bring their own phone to Virgin Mobile??

Highlighted
Whiz Kid

Only new customers are eligible to bring their own phone to Virgin Mobile??

I just read a message from March 2019 with the subject "still won't activate" where Lawrence, the VM Social Care Agent stated that and referred to "https://www.virginmobileusa.com/plans/bring-your-device.html".  I don't see that info at that site.

I've been a VM customer forever and want to replace my Samsung phone with an iPhone.  I have a relative who works for Apple and wants to buy me the iPhone XS Max, unlocked and Sim-Free.

I need to know that if, as an existing VM customer, I can use the phone and transfer my existing phone number to it.  

I also read that VM is out of SIM cards.  Still or are they in stock now?  If not, can I use the Sprint Universal SIM card?

I tried calling to ask these simple questions but, after a 25 minute hold, the rep wouldn't say anything until I gave him my PIN to access my account.  I don't think he needs to access my account to answer these questions.  I passed on the phone call.

3 REPLIES 3
Agent

Re: Only new customers are eligible to bring their own phone to Virgin Mobile??

Hello, Nextman. Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we don't have compatible SIM cards for the iPhone XS Max, that model is not supported. Keep in mind that if you are an existing customer, you can't activate an unlocked device. 

If you have any other question or concern, feel free to reply.

Whiz Kid

Thank you for replying.

This is really confusing.  iPhone XS Max isn't supported yet I can purchase it at https://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop#/.

If buying an iPhone elsewhere is only supported for new customers it should be stated somewhere on the "Bring your own Device" page.  I've read several "I can't connect my new phone" threads related to this policy.  It would save a lot of grief for exisiting customes.

Speaking of which...after 20+ years it looks like I will soon be an ex-existing customer as I move on to one of the iPhone/Apple plans.

Whiz Kid

WHY only new? i am a long time Virgin Mobile customer. I need to replace my iPhone asap! you haven't had it in stock, for a long time! discriminating? Really disappointed 😞