Virgin Mobile

SMS Texting Not Working on iPhone to Android

Enthusiast

SMS Texting Not Working on iPhone to Android

Our home owns two iPhone's and BOTH are on Virgin Mobile.  One iPhone is able to fully communicate to the SAME Android user with NO PROBLEMS.  But one of the iPhones to that user is ONLY able to send/receive MMS messages, but is NOT ABLE to send or receive SMS.  So, after working with multiple Virgin Mobile technical support staff and enabling/disabling various settings, resetting the carrier signal, enabling the subject line (as foolish as that sounded), verifying the iPhone has a FULL LTE signal and our WiFi works great; Virgin pointed at Apple.  To humor the Virgin Tech Support Rep, I told them I would pursue with Apple.  Apple (of course) pointed back to the carrier (Virgin)!

So I ask, how is it possible that both iPhone's are on Virgin, one phone works COMPLETELY fine but the other has a problem and it's Apple's fault?  It's not Apple, and while I don't know what it is; I believe neither does Virgin (or Sprint) for that matter.

14 REPLIES 14
Whiz Kid

Re: SMS Texting Not Working on iPhone to Android

I am having the same problem. I have contacted Virgin Mobile support 3 separate times with no luck, and have been to the Apple Store where after inspecting my iPhone XR, they told me that it is a carrier issue and to contact Virgin Mobile. This has been ongoing for nearly 3 weeks now and I am quite frustrated. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point. I can send messages to other iPhone users perfectly fine, but I get "Not Delivered" errors to any Android users.

Agent

Hello! We're sorry about the issues you're having. Let's get this thing worked out. Can you send us the cross streets and ZIP code where this occurs?

Enthusiast

The zip code is basically a number of them; 02110, 02169, 02184, 01906, etc.  Cross streets are irrelevant as this occurs constantly and is not specific to a location.

Agent

Thank you for the information. Let's get this thing worked out. Try to turn the phone off, wait 15 minutes, then turn it back on, and test the service to see if it works.

Enthusiast

Hi JohnJ7, aside from everything described in my original posting, we tried that first; as well as rebooting (press on/off button and pressing home) the phone.  Did not change results.

Agent

Please turn off/disable iMessaging and try to send to a non IOS user. Make sure that your phone number is set to send and SMS is set to on. The green bubble shout show at all when doing this. 

Enthusiast

Tried it, didn't work.

Agent

Oh no! Have you tried sending the text message while the LTE is off?

Enthusiast

Yes, and also tried with/without WiFi on/off.