Software Update: Apple iOS 12.1.2 12/17/2018

Apple - iOS 12.1.2

Software Version: iOS 12.1.2
Release Date: 12/17/2018
Method: Available Over the Air

Fixes:

iOS 12.1.2
  • Fixes bugs with eSIM activation for iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
  • Addresses an issue that could affect cellular connectivity in Turkey for iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: Software Update: Apple iOS 12.1.2 12/17/2018

Yeah, we see this more often than not.  First sign out of iMessage and FaceTime.  Go to Setting - Messages - Send and Receive, tap your Apple ID then Sign Out.  Then Go to Settings - FaceTime, tap your Apple ID, then Sign Out.  Then to Settings - Messages and everything that is "ON" swipe to "Off"  So if iMessage, Send as SMS, MMS Messaging, Group Messaging, etc is on, swipe them all to off.  Power off the phone for 2 minutes.  Why?  We are trying to re-register your requests with the Apple servers.  Powering off the device for 2 minutes clears the cache on the device.

Now, we are going to do just the opposite.  Power the phone on and once fully booted, go to Settings - Messages and make sure that everything you turned off, you turn back on.   So if iMessage, Send as SMS, MMS Messaging, Group Messaging, etc is off, swipe them all to on.  Then sign in to FaceTime and iMessage.  Then send a text to an Android device.

@deannah wrote:

I purchased a new iphone XR last week and cannot text to Android (SMS texts).  I have seen numerous other customers complaining of this in this 'Online Community'.  I called Customer Service, they tried to have me try a few things like typing ##873283# and nothing worked.  They told me they would have someone email me or call me and I never heard from anyone.  I've done the work arounds that I've read about on here, placing something in the subject line when I text to android, and also turning off LTE, and then I can text to Android, but these temporary fixes are unacceptable.  I have a very expensive phone that does not even function properly.  I do not want a subject line preceeding my texts, and if I turn off LTE and try to use the internet on my phone, it is dreadfully slow so this will not work.  I am begging for someone to PLEASE help me fix this issue the right way, and if this is not possible, can someone from Virgin please be straightforward with me and let me know if this problem cannot be fixed at this point, whether or not Virgin is working on a way to fix this?  I would truly appreciate it. 

10 REPLIES 10
Enthusiast

Still doesn’t fix people’s SMS (not IMessage) issue where they can’t send texts while on LTE connection. Many people have this issue and can’t send SMS. They can receive SMS, IMessage, and place phone calls. They literally just can’t send SMS. Hopefully the “technical team” figures this out...it’s only been 3 weeks or so since this issue started. Maybe virgin mobile will refund us the cost for however long this issue takes....
Community Manager

This is the first I've ever heard of this.  Do you get an error message when you try to send out a text?

@Aus10c wrote:
Still doesn’t fix people’s SMS (not IMessage) issue where they can’t send texts while on LTE connection. Many people have this issue and can’t send SMS. They can receive SMS, IMessage, and place phone calls. They literally just can’t send SMS. Hopefully the “technical team” figures this out...it’s only been 3 weeks or so since this issue started. Maybe virgin mobile will refund us the cost for however long this issue takes....

Whiz Kid

I purchased a new iphone XR last week and cannot text to Android (SMS texts).  I have seen numerous other customers complaining of this in this 'Online Community'.  I called Customer Service, they tried to have me try a few things like typing ##873283# and nothing worked.  They told me they would have someone email me or call me and I never heard from anyone.  I've done the work arounds that I've read about on here, placing something in the subject line when I text to android, and also turning off LTE, and then I can text to Android, but these temporary fixes are unacceptable.  I have a very expensive phone that does not even function properly.  I do not want a subject line preceeding my texts, and if I turn off LTE and try to use the internet on my phone, it is dreadfully slow so this will not work.  I am begging for someone to PLEASE help me fix this issue the right way, and if this is not possible, can someone from Virgin please be straightforward with me and let me know if this problem cannot be fixed at this point, whether or not Virgin is working on a way to fix this?  I would truly appreciate it. 

Community Manager

Yeah, we see this more often than not.  First sign out of iMessage and FaceTime.  Go to Setting - Messages - Send and Receive, tap your Apple ID then Sign Out.  Then Go to Settings - FaceTime, tap your Apple ID, then Sign Out.  Then to Settings - Messages and everything that is "ON" swipe to "Off"  So if iMessage, Send as SMS, MMS Messaging, Group Messaging, etc is on, swipe them all to off.  Power off the phone for 2 minutes.  Why?  We are trying to re-register your requests with the Apple servers.  Powering off the device for 2 minutes clears the cache on the device.

Now, we are going to do just the opposite.  Power the phone on and once fully booted, go to Settings - Messages and make sure that everything you turned off, you turn back on.   So if iMessage, Send as SMS, MMS Messaging, Group Messaging, etc is off, swipe them all to on.  Then sign in to FaceTime and iMessage.  Then send a text to an Android device.

@deannah wrote:

Enthusiast

Thank you so much for posting this! It completely solved my issue.

Note: I think the key is leaving the email adresses CHECKED (keep the default) for iMessage after rebooting! The first time I tried this method, I unchecked the email address, and it did not solve the issue. I did it again but kept the email address checked (basically just didn’t change any iMessage settings after turning it back on) and the issue was solved.

I will write back if I have the issue again.

Thanks so much!
Community Manager

Glad I could help!

@Jbear wrote:
Thank you so much for posting this! It completely solved my issue.

Note: I think the key is leaving the email adresses CHECKED (keep the default) for iMessage after rebooting! The first time I tried this method, I unchecked the email address, and it did not solve the issue. I did it again but kept the email address checked (basically just didn’t change any iMessage settings after turning it back on) and the issue was solved.

I will write back if I have the issue again.

Thanks so much!

Enthusiast

Bummer - this fix just stopped working for me, and I can't get it to start working again. I'm back to not being able to send texts without turning off LTE or turning on subject line in text. Any other ideas for resolution??

Highlighted
Community Manager

PM me your number and I will get a ticket created with the text team.

@Jbear wrote:

Bummer - this fix just stopped working for me, and I can't get it to start working again. I'm back to not being able to send texts without turning off LTE or turning on subject line in text. Any other ideas for resolution??

Enthusiast

Thank you! How do I PM you? I can’t find the option