Virgin Mobile

Swapping from iphone 4s to iphone 8

Whiz Kid

Swapping from iphone 4s to iphone 8

Received an unlocked iphone 8 for x-mas.  Would like to swap device from my current iphone 4s but when I enter the IMEI number after selecting "swap my device" I receive a message saying iphone is not compatile.  How can I determine which phones are compatible with Virgin Mobile?  Do I need a SIM card?  I do not beleive my iphone 4s has one.

4 REPLIES 4
Agent

Re: Swapping from iphone 4s to iphone 8

Hi Bullitt_75. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We'll be happy to assist you. Most iPhone 8 phones will work with Virgin Mobile if they’re unlocked and were previously used with Verizon Wireless, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile or Sprint (service must be terminated for 60 days or more for phones used with Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile or Sprint). Is it a CDMA or GSM iPhone? Some iPhone 8 phones previously used with AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket Wireless or MetroPCS will not work with Virgin Mobile because the CDMA network technology necessary to work on Virgin Mobile network has been disabled. Was it ever active before? ~AmyM25

Whiz Kid

I beleive it was purchased on ebay as a refurbished iphone.  The only other information I have is that it is asking to insert a SIM card.  Is there anyway I can get more information to address your questions from the phone itself?

Agent

We understand. Please, send us your iPhone 8's IMEI #, phone number and PIN in a private message, so we can assist you further. To send a Private Message, click my username or picture, then click "send this user a private message".  Thanks! ~AmyM25 

Highlighted
Whiz Kid

After a number of private messages to various Virgin Mobile support personal regarding my issue I was informaed that Virgin Mobile is either unable or unwilling to allow me to keep my existing phone number while transferring to a new iphone and continue to be a Virgin Mobile customer.  Can someone please explain why I am not allowed to keep my same phone number and simply tranfer it to my new unlocked CDMA compatible iphone?