Virgin Mobile

Unlock policy recap please

SOLVED
Highlighted
Ben
Enthusiast

Unlock policy recap please

Hi all,

I am in the process of buying an iPhone from the Virgin mobile website, but before I do it I would like some clarification on the unlock policy. I have searched the community forums and the website and have only found conflicting information.

I am aware that the policy changed for iPhones bought after Nov. 26th 2017.

Community agents have been saying "Any iPhone purchased through our website after 11/26/17 can be unlocked for both domestic and international use after 14 days of use (except the SE and 6)."

--> so, what is the policy for the SE and the 6 ??

Also, some agents refer to this link about the international unlock policy ... but this is from June 2017 Is this stil valid ?

Lastly, some refer to the "unlocking policy" here which is both outdated (only refers to phones up to iPhone 6s / SE) and only mentions Domestic Unlock. It also seems to me that this is the policy for legacy Virgin Mobile subscribers not for Inner Circle members.

It also seems that the policy depends on whether the iPhone was paid at full MSRP or at a discount / subsidy.

To further complicate things, Pre-Loved iPhones sold on Virgin Mobile website are supposedly (OK, this is only hearsay from customers) already unlocked (international or domestic ??)

All this seems rather fishy ! Why is it that Virgin Mobile is not upfront with its unlocking policy ? ... all the other carriers clearly list their unlock policy on their websites.

Could one of the agents here please answer my questions and recap the current policies for both International and Domestic Unlock for the different iPhone models depending on price paid and/or condition when bought (new or pre-loved) as I feel this is important information in the buying process ... and should not need private messages and or a call to a dedicated number ... it should be stated trough a link on Virgin Mobile's main page.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Agent

Re: Unlock policy recap please

Hi @Ben

To unlock these two phones, for domestic use (in the U.S) it has to be active for 12 months on a specific account. For international travel is still 14 days (All of this applies only if you buy it from our website).

Lastly, some refer to the "unlocking policy" here which is both outdated (only refers to phones up to iPhone 6s / SE) and only mentions Domestic Unlock. It also seems to me that this is the policy for legacy Virgin Mobile subscribers not for Inner Circle members.

This may be the link for  "CTIA regulatory which but we are unable to access right now since the website is under maintenance right now. If it is the link we mentioned, then yes, it applies for other phones that are not Inner Circle iPhone (example: iPhones that are not inner circle, some androids etc...).

Agents refer to this link about the international unlock policy ... but this is from June 2017 Is this stil valid ?

Yes, It is still valid and applies to Inner Circle customers only. To verify any unlock request, for Inner Circle, this is the correct link and we would eventually update any link that is no longer valid.

It also seems that the policy depends on whether the iPhone was paid at full MSRP or at a discount / subsidy.

If you buy the phone at Apple stores, the unlock policy is 14 days both internationally and domestic including iPhone SE and 6.

On the website is 14 days for all iPhones whether the device is new or not, except for the iPhone 6 and SE.

To further complicate things, Pre-Loved iPhones sold on Virgin Mobile website are supposedly (OK, this is only hearsay from customers) already unlocked (international or domestic ??)

Wether its used or new, Same policy above applies depending on the phone model on the website. Let's say you buy a used iPhone X on the webiste; then the 14 days policy applies for domestic unlock (U.S) because is not an iPhone 6 or SE. All iPhones (inner circle) can be used for international travel after 14 days whether used or new. But for U.S unlock, for the iPhone SE and 6 purchased on the website, it is 12 months.

If you notice that any of the information above is incorrect we'll be more than glad to take a look and correct it! Thanks for asking! - E.J.

13 REPLIES
Agent

Hello, Ben! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We’d love to explain this further.

DEVICE UNLOCK POLICY

iPhone devices which are sold at full MSRP will be eligible to unlock 14-days after activation, whereas devices which were sold with a subsidy will continue with the 1-year unlock policy. Please see the info below for assistance.

If a customer purchased device between 9/29/17-11/16/17, the following rules apply:

Phone Purchase                                       Domestic  an international Unlock Policy
- Purchase at Apple Store                        14-Days

- Purchase on Virgin Mobile Web             12-Months for all iPhone except the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

If a customer purchased device during any other time period, the following rules apply:

Phone Purchase                                       Domestic  an international Unlock Policy
- Purchase on Virgin Mobile Web             14-days (Any iPhone except SE and 6)
- Purchase on Virgin Mobile Web             12-months for iPhone SE and 6

If you have any doubt, feel free to ask.

Ben
Enthusiast

This is a pretty good attempt at explaining, thanks for that ... but once again, maybe I'm dumb for not understanding, but you first refer to the device's price, then there is no mention of the purchase price in the 2 tables underneath (unless Apple Store means full MSRP and VM's Website means subsidized ... which is not always true) ... so need some clarification there.

Also, now there is no difference between domestic and international unlocking ? This would mean that if I buy an SE or 6 on VM's website then travel to Europe for a vacation, there is no way I can use my phone within the first 12 months ? (knowing that VM does not offer international roaming).

Also, what about the pre-loved ? ... do they fall under their respective model policy or do they have a separate policy ?

Thanks again.

Agent

Hi there Ben, The Data Love plans fall with the 12 months activation. The unlock policy is as stated on the chart.  a customer purchased device between 9/29/17-11/16/17,

- Purchase on Virgin Mobile Web             12-Months for all iPhone except the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

If a customer purchased device during any other time period, the following rules apply:

- Purchase on Virgin Mobile Web             14-days (Any iPhone except SE and 6)
- Purchase on Virgin Mobile Web             12-months for iPhone SE and 6

Ben
Enthusiast

Guys ... you really are taking the mickey and making things confusing when they should not be !!

None of my questions are answered by Victor21 ... for some reason, you talk about the Data Love Plan, which I did not even know existed or mentioned, I do not care about that ... the only plan offered for new customers at this time seems to be Inner Circle, so let's stick to that !!

My questions were are about unlocking ... MSRP vs subsidized, New vs Pre-loved and International unlocking for when traveling.

Agent

Hi @Ben

To unlock these two phones, for domestic use (in the U.S) it has to be active for 12 months on a specific account. For international travel is still 14 days (All of this applies only if you buy it from our website).

Lastly, some refer to the "unlocking policy" here which is both outdated (only refers to phones up to iPhone 6s / SE) and only mentions Domestic Unlock. It also seems to me that this is the policy for legacy Virgin Mobile subscribers not for Inner Circle members.

This may be the link for  "CTIA regulatory which but we are unable to access right now since the website is under maintenance right now. If it is the link we mentioned, then yes, it applies for other phones that are not Inner Circle iPhone (example: iPhones that are not inner circle, some androids etc...).

Agents refer to this link about the international unlock policy ... but this is from June 2017 Is this stil valid ?

Yes, It is still valid and applies to Inner Circle customers only. To verify any unlock request, for Inner Circle, this is the correct link and we would eventually update any link that is no longer valid.

If you buy the phone at Apple stores, the unlock policy is 14 days both internationally and domestic including iPhone SE and 6.

On the website is 14 days for all iPhones whether the device is new or not, except for the iPhone 6 and SE.

Wether its used or new, Same policy above applies depending on the phone model on the website. Let's say you buy a used iPhone X on the webiste; then the 14 days policy applies for domestic unlock (U.S) because is not an iPhone 6 or SE. All iPhones (inner circle) can be used for international travel after 14 days whether used or new. But for U.S unlock, for the iPhone SE and 6 purchased on the website, it is 12 months.

If you notice that any of the information above is incorrect we'll be more than glad to take a look and correct it! Thanks for asking! - E.J.

Enthusiast

My friend bought a iPhone 6s last year in august (2017) and was told can only be unlocked for internationals usage. So how do you determine an international usage? And also I noticed someone said even their iPhones were unlocked by you guys, they still can't use another carriers( like T-mobile, Verizon etc). The agent responsed Virgin mobiles DO NOT promise phones can be eligible by other carriers even unlocked. Then what's the point of 'unlocking'?? It seems your policy is fooling us.

Agent

Hi there Yanyan. When a device is unlock it is not guaranty it will work with any other provider. That may be up to the other provider policies on unlock devices. Victor21 

Enthusiast

And how do you determine 'international usage'? 

Agent

A device that is unlocked for international use allows the usage of an international SIM to be inserted, so you can use a third party's roaming service while abroad. The processes of activation and the domestic SIM cards are different to those of an international service.