Virgin Mobile

Unlocking a phone - The most painful experience with Virgin Mobile

Highlighted
Whiz Kid

Unlocking a phone - The most painful experience with Virgin Mobile

I have requested on multiple occasions to have my iPhone unlocked and all I am hearing from the customer service representative that my iphone is not eligible to be unlocked since it has not been active for a year. I have been a Virgin mobile customer since 2017. In September 2018 I had to purchase a replacement device (iPhone 7) which is now active for more than a year. In the month of November I had to travel outside the country on a bereavement leave and when I came back to US in Jan 2019; I was not able to get any service. I had therefore called Virgin and had my line re-activated. Technically I have been making payments on this device since September 2018. Due to some technical issues on the Virgin mobile end; I had to call the customer service and get my line re-activated. But all I get to hear now from the customer service is that I do not qualify for unlocking the device.

I have been following up on this request for over 6 days now; and have been receiving contradicting answers from each representative that I speak to. One of my first representative assured me that my phone would be unlocked within two business days however it was not unlocked and upon calling the second representative assured my line would be active in 48-72 hrs.

I called back again and was told that my request was denied because my phone has been active only since Jan 2019, which is incorrect. I have been making payments since September 2018 on this new device and I don’t see a reason why my phone does not qualify for getting unlocked. I would not be sitting on my phone between September 2018 and January 2019 without having it activated.

This has been highly frustrating for me as a Virgin Mobile customer. I don’t know to whom I need to escalate this further but I have been spending hours on calls making the customer service representatives understand this. This back and forth has been extremely painful and each time I have to call and explain the entire situation all over again and spends hours on the phone with the representative.

Today has been my 6th follow-up call in the span of 6 days with Virgin Mobile customer service. For the past one week I have spent at least 6 hrs. trying to explain my issue. Case # was opened to get my iphone unlocked. Yesterday when I called the 1-800 number I was told my iphone is unlocked. Today i called back to check since it was not locked in the first place; and I get to hear that the Case # was cancelled on the same day. I am not sure what is going on but this has been really painful and highly frustrating for me as a customer as everyday I have been getting contradictory answers. This is the worst experience I have had with any carrier in the past 15 years. As per the Virgin Mobile policy my iphone is eligible to be unlocked. So i am not sure what is taking so long for the back office to get this iphone unlocked.

All I want is for my phone to be unlocked.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Unlocking a phone - The most painful experience with Virgin Mobile

Hi there! Sorry for the delayed response. Support is available from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. CST. Please send us a private message to assist you. To send a Private Message, click my username or picture, then click "send this user a private message".