Unlocking phone cancells service?

SOLVED
TC
Enthusiast

Re: Unlocking phone cancells service?

@sweetpotato0525

You are exactly right.  Virgin Mobile just told me exactly the same thing over the phone (a conversation that took 40 minutes).  They gave me the 6-digit Master Subsidy Lock or MSL code, then said "your next operator will use it to unlock your phone," which, as you said, in not true.  We are on our own to figure out how to unlock the phone before going to the next operator (or to sell/trade-in these phones).

Highlighted
Agent

Hi there, @TC. Unfortunately, we don't unlock devices that use the MSL code. While Virgin Mobile can provide the MSL code to eligible customers, this does not mean that the device will be accepted by another carrier or interoperate with another carrier's network. Whether another carrier will accept and activate a device is subject to that carrier's policies and capabilities.

Highlighted
TC
Enthusiast

@Lawrence wrote:

Hi there, @TC. Unfortunately, we don't unlock devices that use the MSL code. While Virgin Mobile can provide the MSL code to eligible customers, this does not mean that the device will be accepted by another carrier or interoperate with another carrier's network. Whether another carrier will accept and activate a device is subject to that carrier's policies and capabilities.

@Lawrence.  I don't understand this sentence, "we don't unlock devices that use the MSL code," because Virgin Mobile USA's phone representative just gave me the MSL code today when I ask for my iPhone 5 purchased from Virgin Mobile to be unlocked.  What else could I be possibly askig for when I request the phone to be unlocked (given this phone meets all criteria set by Virgin Mobile)?  (Please do not repeat the statement that whether other operators will take this phone is up to them, since I understand that and every one of you guys say this.)

Highlighted
TC
Enthusiast

@TC wrote:

@Lawrence wrote:

@Lawrence.  I don't understand this sentence, "we don't unlock devices that use the MSL code," because Virgin Mobile USA's phone representative just gave me the MSL code today when I ask for my iPhone 5 purchased from Virgin Mobile to be unlocked.  What else could I be possibly askig for when I request the phone to be unlocked (given this phone meets all criteria set by Virgin Mobile)?  (Please do not repeat the statement that whether other operators will take this phone is up to them, since I understand that and every one of you guys say this.)

@Lawrence
To be exact, when I plug in a SIM from another US CDMA operator into this phone that Virgin Mobile phone rep said today was unlocked and connect it with a USB cable with my PC running iTunes, the following error message came up:

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrer that is not supported
under the activatim policy that is currently assigned by the activatim server. This is not a hardware
issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this
iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

Highlighted
Wizard

There seems to be a lot of confusion here.

Assuming you have met the unlock requirements Virgin Mobile can and should arrange the unlock on you behalf.

You may need to do a full restore via iTunes to complete the process.

If you have not done that already, it would be a good thing to do with the sim you were using on Virgin Mobile.

At that stage if your phone is unlocked it will accept any other sim with one caveat.  If the sim is from another Sprint network operator that sim and the IMEI of the phone must be activated together.  For Verizon or any GSM carrier you could simply pop the sim in although you might need to do a carrier reset and perhaps set the APN.  That is because on Sprint, the sim is only for LTE and does not manage account information.

One way to find out if your phone is unlocked properly is to contact Apple either at a store or online and ask what activation policy is currently on the device and when was it changed if it is not the original.

If the phone is not in fact unlocked you do need to pursue the matter with Virgin Mobile since Apple will not assist on that.

Virgin Mobile will certainly comply with its obligations to unlock the phone if it is eligible.  In the unlikely event you encounter major problems, there are dispute resolution mechanisms available to you.

Good Luck!

Highlighted
TC
Enthusiast

@madra31 wrote:

There seems to be a lot of confusion here.

Assuming you have met the unlock requirements Virgin Mobile can and should arrange the unlock on you behalf.

You may need to do a full restore via iTunes to complete the process.

If you have not done that already, it would be a good thing to do with the sim you were using on Virgin Mobile.

At that stage if your phone is unlocked it will accept any other sim with one caveat.  If the sim is from another Sprint network operator that sim and the IMEI of the phone must be activated together.  For Verizon or any GSM carrier you could simply pop the sim in although you might need to do a carrier reset and perhaps set the APN.  That is because on Sprint, the sim is only for LTE and does not manage account information.

One way to find out if your phone is unlocked properly is to contact Apple either at a store or online and ask what activation policy is currently on the device and when was it changed if it is not the original.

If the phone is not in fact unlocked you do need to pursue the matter with Virgin Mobile since Apple will not assist on that.

Virgin Mobile will certainly comply with its obligations to unlock the phone if it is eligible.  In the unlikely event you encounter major problems, there are dispute resolution mechanisms available to you.

Good Luck!

@madra31

Thank you for the detailed answer, especially the tip to contact Apple.  Unfortunately, I did all of them and got nowhere.  My iPhone 5 (more specifically, its IMEI) is locked to Virgin Mobile on the Activation Server operated by Apple and controlled by individual operators. The symptom of this is, if you plug in a SIM card from another operator into this phone, it will have an error message after you have chosen the language and country saying "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.  The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrer that is not supported
under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware
issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this
iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."  So you can't get to any of the non-cellular functions on this phone, including Wi-Fi connectivity based web surfing.

Apple Support was nice enough to tell me about this Application Server status and they did a 3-way call with me to Virgin Mobile, whose rep confirmed that their so called "unlocking" is limited to "giving you a 6-digit MSL code and to setting your expectation correctly."  What a joke!

Highlighted
TC
Enthusiast

Are there anyone out there who have successfully unlocked their iPhone 5's purchased from Virgin Mobile and used them on other operators' networks?  What I've experienced (iPhone 5 still limited to Virgin on the Activation Server after VM unlocked it) should not be just an exception.  But given that cannot be changed, I am really hopeful someone does have an example I can follow to use this functioning phone somewhere.

Highlighted
Whiz Kid

Several weeks ago, I called Virgin Mobile to get the iPhone 6s that I bought when I joined your service UNLOCKED so that I could get a SIM card and use it in Spain. I was assured that the phone would be unlocked within 24 hours. I just landed in Spain, removed the VM SIMM card and put in the SIMM card that I purchased in Spain that is deisgned for my IPhone 6s. The SIMM card will not activate and I receive a message that the phone is LOCKED!

To say that I am angry is an understatement. I need my iPhone unlocked IMMEDIATELY as I am in Barcelona and not able to use my phone! It will not get past the activation page and says the SIMM is invalid because my phone is LOCKED. I was told by CS that when I return home in ten days, I simply reinsert my VM SIMM card again and the service is resumed.

My name is Mihalis Papadopoulos.

Please EMAIL ME when the phone is unlocked today,

Highlighted
Agent

Hello, @Mihalis. So sorry about the trouble! Did you request the phone to be unlocked before leaving for Spain? When did you purchase the device? Was the device purchase at the store?

~ Joy P.

Highlighted
Whiz Kid

I called CS and the guy said, “you’ve had the phone for two months now, so you’re eligible to have it unlocked.” I purchased the phone on the Virgin Mobile website and it was shipped to me. I bought it in late September. Yes, I specifically called BEFORE I left for Spain. I landed in Spain today and the phone was still LOCKED. The CS man said at the time I called to have it unlocked that I had “nothing to worry about” as he would pass the unlock order along and it would be done within 24 hours automatically! I took him at his word! I need my phone here, in Spain as I’m here until November 7th and travel a lot overseas!