Unlocking phone cancells service?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Promoter

Unlocking phone cancells service?

I will be traveling in europe for three weeks this summer and wanted to be able to use a local carriers simcard in my iPhone 5s.  I talked with customer service and asked that the phone be unlocked, it meets all the stated requirements; 12 mos on plan, not reported stolen, etc.,  I was told by the representative that they could unlock my phone but that they would have to cancel my virgin mobile account.  I don't get it.  I just want to be able to switch out cards for three weeks.  It is not my intention to leave the VM network.  Is what I want to do not possible? Am I misunderstanding the unlocking process?  Or should I be able to have the phone unlocked and switch freely between my virgin sim and some other sim?

9 REPLIES
Super Star

Re: Unlocking phone cancells service?

they dont unlock the phone for international use reason they said it will cancel your account

Domestic SIM Unlock (DSU) refers to enabling the SIM Slot of your device to allow you to insert another carrier's SIM card. SIM unlocking a device will not necessarily make a device interoperable with another carrier's network. Additionally, SIM unlocking a device may enable some functionality of the device but not all (e.g., SIM unlocked device may support voice services but not data services when activated on a different network). NOTE: Not all devices are capable of having the SIM slot unlocked.

Please note, Virgin Mobile devices which the owner has attempted to reprogram or activate on another carrier's network or otherwise altered from its initial programming or settings may not be able to be reactivated with Virgin Mobile services.

Promoter

I appreciate your response, but I'm confused by the first sentence.  Is that meant to be a restatement of  my question or is it intended to be an answer?

If it's an answer, are you saying that if my reason for wanting the phone unlocked is international use, they will not do it without cancelling my account?  That just seems to be spiteful on their part.

The rest of your response suggests that what I want to do is technically possible, with certain caveats as to suitability to task, your mileage may vary, etc.,

Super Star

they dont unlock phone for international use is what im saying

Agent

@mscheney As it has been mentioned before Virgin Mobile does not support international unlock. Therefore, we're unable to unlock it for international use. Please visit our website at https://www.virginmobileusa.com/#!/unlock/ for more details on our unlock policy.

Promoter

Thanks for clarifying that.

I talked again with VM customer service.  This time there was no discussion of why I wanted to unlock the phone.  They said they would unlock it but that I would no longer be able to use it on the VM network.  If I transfered my account to another device, then I could continue my account ( and phone #) on that device but that the newly unlocked phone was no longer welcome on their network.  I asked about this in relation to the BYOD policy.  They said that yes, an unlocked phone from another carrier was welcome on their network but not an unlocked virgin phone.

I must say that this seems arbitrary to me and I can't understand why VM cares if I use my phone in europe for three weeks and then pop their sim back in when I return home.

Sems like my mistake was buying a locked phone from virgin instead of getting an unlocked phone from apple.  In my defense, and to VM's credit, it was very cheap. 

Thanks again for you help.

Promoter

Hi joy1713,

Is there a technical difference beween domestic and international unlocking?

And was the CS rep correct in telling me that once I unlocked my phone I could no longer use it on the VM network?  Even if my reason was not to use it internationally, but domestically?

Thanks.

Agent

@mscheney At the moment we are unable to unlock devices for international use. Once a device is unlocked, you would still be able to use it with our network until it is activated with another carrier, which would then make it incompatible with us.

Promoter

Thanks EdmundM

One final question then; does VM have an in-network solution for customers who want to use their phones abroad for short periods of time? 

Agent

Sadly, we currently do not offer service outside of the United States. We apologize for the inconvenience.