Virgin Mobile

Want to swap to unlocked 11 pro I bought from Apple

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Want to swap to unlocked 11 pro I bought from Apple

I've been a Virgin customer since at least 2009. I've always purchased my phones through them, but when I dropped my refurbished iPhone 7 on the 7th day I had it, it was not only dead but unrepairable. That was an expensive lesson in "refurbished phones have no warranty and are ineligible for insurance." So I let my husband who now works for Apple buy me a phone from them with his discount. A lot more money, but it's new and should be repairable (not have some squirrelly not-norm schematic) if I ever need it. I put the sim card from the 7 in hoping that I could activate my 11 pro that way, but I can't even get that far with activation. Instead when I put in the IMEI I get a screen that says I should call because my phone isn't recognized. Ok, I call and they say I should try the web or call from a different phone. Sigh. I've been happy for years, but this has been a cluster-you-know-what. My husband is going to get my phone on a family plan with him at T-Mobile if I don't get this resolved!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Whiz Kid

Re: Want to swap to unlocked 11 pro I bought from Apple

Call customer service. They should be able to send you a SIM card. You will need a new one for the 11 pro. Some people have been able to activate without help, but others have had to go to the Apple store. Good luck!! It is possible, even though the official stance is that it is not.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Agent

Hi there, @kyouell. We're sorry to hear that you're in this type of situation. Unfortunately, we're unable to activate unlocked phones on an existing account. We apologize for this experience. 

Whiz Kid

Call customer service. They should be able to send you a SIM card. You will need a new one for the 11 pro. Some people have been able to activate without help, but others have had to go to the Apple store. Good luck!! It is possible, even though the official stance is that it is not.

View solution in original post

Enthusiast

I put in the SIM card from my 7, do you think that was a bad idea? I'll call customer service as soon as my husband is home with his phone before they close for the day; when I called with my old phone I was told I couldn't call from the number I was trying to transfer.

Enthusiast

If you can't activate unlocked phones, what's the point of buying an unlocked phone? I tried buying a phone from Virgin and that ended up being $250 for 7 days. If you had any new (not refurbished) phones I would've happily bought one.

Enthusiast

@kyouell  Were you able to ever activate your unlocked 11 pro from apple?

Enthusiast

@eltr Do you know any post or anyone that was able to activate an unlocked 11 pro or what kind of sim card would work? I called customer service many time and got a lot of mix information such as sim card must start with 893.... and another I was told it's not supported.  A little confused who's telling me the truth. 

Whiz Kid

I just did this a few days ago. You need a brand new Virgin Mobile (Aka Sprint) SIM card. Once you install it, you'll have to go through the activation process online. Make sure you have your MEID number from your new phone and the ICCID number from your new SIM card. If you get an error message when completing the online process, you'll have to call the number they provide. You'll need a second working phone to do this. Then you basically enter all the same information again over the phone. After that, my phone was activated. Good luck!

Enthusiast

It turns out that this is incorrect. With a phone call to customer service I was sent a SIM card and then was able to swap to my new 11 pro while logged into my account.

Enthusiast

Yes, I did. I called customer service and they sent me a SIM card that supports the 11 Pro (the one from my 7 wouldn't work, that was a waste of time). Once it arrived I was able to activate it with my exsiting phone number without a problem by logging into my account and clicking "swap phone." I'm not sure if getting to activate web page another way would have worked.