Virgin Mobile

iPhone 5 unlock

Master

iPhone 5 unlock

Hello,

I have moved away from the USA and asked Virgin to unlock my iPhone (it was unlocked when I bought it from an Apple Store) so I could use it in the UK. I was told it would work fine, but have just found the CDMA is still locked so it won't accept a UK network SIM card. Can someone please help me as I need to get up and running asap!
15 REPLIES 15
Agent

Re: iPhone 5 unlock

Hey there @DarlonKeis We sincerely apologize for the difficulties you're experiencing. Did you submitted the unlock request before travelling? 

~JoyP.

Master

Hi Joy. Yes, I submitted the request a month ago well before arrival back in the UK 2 days ago
Agent

Thanks for responding. Please send us a private message with your phone number and pin code so we can take a closer look. 

Agent

Sorry, JohnJ7. I can't find that number in the system. Could you check if it's correct? 

Hi there! Sorry for the delayed response. Support is available from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. CST. We got access to your account and confirmed the results of your unlock case. Our technicians were not able to unlock your device on our end because this device was manufactured before February 2015 and is not technically capable to be unlocked. 

This device has the possibility of being programmed and used in a new compatible carrier using the phone's MSL code: 230390. If the new carrier is compatible with your phone, it will be able to activate it using the MSL code.

Master

That’s a problem. Since the UK does not use CDMA, but rather SIM only, no carrier can unlock the phone. So my understanding is that Virgin lock phones to them, but can not unlock them? I am effectively stuck now with an expensive paperweight that I purchased from the apple store when my previous iPhone with you failed?

Can Virgin compensate me for this in any way?
Agent

Hi there! We're truly sorry for the inconvenience. By the time the phone was activated, we were not activating unlocked iPhones. Our system shows that the device is from Virgin Mobile, that is the reason why it is locked.

Master

Hi JamieB,

The device certainly is not from Virgin Mobile USA, as it was replaced in 2016 when the battery on the original became defective. I bought it from an apple store unlocked, not from yourselves. I was repeatedly told by Virgin that it could and would be unlocked so it could be used in the UK when I returned (including prior to activation in 2016).

If this was a lie, then what compensation will Virgin Mobile be giving me to make up for this?

Interesting. Let’s get this all straightened out for you. If your device was purchased as an unlocked device it shouldn't be locked by us.