Virgin Mobile

transfer SIM card from SE to 6S not working

Whiz Kid

transfer SIM card from SE to 6S not working

hello 

i have purchased a totally unlocked Iphone 6s, (both gsm and cdma) and have been trying to transfer my service from my existing iphone SE.

After entering the IMEI number in the activiation area on the Virgin site, it asks me to enter in the number on the SIM card, with the SIM inserted into the new phone. When i do this however, it gives me an error message that the SIM card is already in use. I cannot go any further. 

DO i have to deactivate my SIM card first, get a new, second SIM card for my new phone? I dont know what to do or how to make this work. 

Thanks 

//Forster 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: transfer SIM card from SE to 6S not working

We definitely want to look into this for you, forsterfone. The system recognizes you are utilizing the same SIM card with your current device. If it is compatible you do not need a new SIM card. Though Virgin Mobile does not accept bring your own devices for existing customers accounts. 

Whiz Kid

Thanks for the reply. 

I am confused as how to procede. 

you replied: 

1. You definitely want to look into this for me (ok, great.. let me know if you need more information or I can be of help) 

2. Virgin Mobile does not accept "bring-your-own devices for existing customers". Then as a virgin customer I cannot buy my own Iphone and upgrade? Do I have to quit my service and sign up as a new customer? This makes no sense. Please let me know what to do as I have a new phone and will change providers to use it if i need to. 

Thanks

Agent

Hey there, forsterfone. SIM cards may not be shared between two devices. Each SIM card is assigned to a transceiver (device) and paired together. Users may not simply pop a SIM card out of one device and use it immediately in another device. This is known as 'pop and swap'. Virgin Mobile specifically activates and checks for the paired equipment when connecting to the Sprint network.

Existing customers can't activate unlocked devices. You can activate a Virgin Mobile iPhone. 

Whiz Kid

I dont want to share my SIM card between two devices, I want to use my new phone (and stop using the old one) 

So then my only solution to use my new unlocked phone, is to cancel my Virgin account and use another provider?  You are treaing new customers better than long time customers?

I don't mind buying a new sim card from Virgin if that is what has to happen, but without any help from Virgin to use my new, fully unlocked phone, I will have no choice but to go with another provider. 

Thank you 

//Forster 

Whiz Kid

Hello, 

Almost one week and no reply. I think this means I will have to cancel my account and switch providers to use my new phone

.Please let me know. 

Interesting. Let’s get this all straightened out for you. Virgin Mobile unfortunately does not accept bring your own devices for existing customers. We are sorry for the inconvenience at this time.