Virgin Mobile

updated sim for iphone x

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

updated sim for iphone x

Had to upgrade my iphone as my old one broke, have virgin moble usa, got a new iphone x unlocked. Put the sim in, did the swap thing online, says not valid. Contacted customer service multiple times, given the runaraound and then told to buy a new sim from them as it needs an updated one for iphone x. Ok, but why would I pay for a new sim? Every other carrier just sends you a new updated sim if the phone needs it. Apple store doesn't carry what virgin told me was called an isim, which nobody has heard of, including the sprint people I talked to. 

So what are the options? I'm not going to pay for a new sim, that's called customer service to provide one free of charge and overnight it since no virgin stores exist in the US. So how do I receive some customer service from Virgin and talk to someone who gets it? This is getting ridiculous and appratently they'd rather lose $1200 a year in business then just simply provide customer service and fix the situation that is their responsibility, any suggestions?

6 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: updated sim for iphone x

The Apple Store should be able to provide you SIMOLW416Q and that should resolve the issue quickly.

All other options, if you wish to retain service on Virgin Mobile, may take more time.

Heavy Hitter

Thanks for the note, talked to the Apple people, they said they don't have anything like that. So not sure what is going on, is it free? Can they ship overnight as the closest apple store is 2 hours away. Right now I'm paying for service I can't use because of this issue.

Heavy Hitter

Also, why can't virgin just overnight one to me, it's their system not apple's and their responsibility to get me an updated sim. ATT has done this many times in the past, so have other carriers, all at no charge, just trying to get some customer service that isn't pass the buck approach.

Agent

Hi there, Erik! Since the phone that you are activating is unlocked, you would need one of our universal SIM cards for the Bring your own device program. Our standard SIM cards are free as they are included with our phones but the standard Virgin mobile SIM card will not work with an unlocked device. You can complete the Bring your own device program here.

Heavy Hitter

When I signed up for inner circle I did a BYOD, 2x with unlocked phones, you sent me the sims no charge, not included with your phones as I never owned a phone directly from you. Both of the phones again that I first brought over were BYOD and unlocked, only way it would work and you sent me sim cards for free, just like every other carrier has done forever. I'm not starting a new program or starting a new plan, just updated the device as it broke, so not sure why all the hassle to send me a $10 sim card for your service as you are the carrier, pretty standard practice for a carrier to update a sim for a current customer without charge, in fact it's just customer service 101.

Heavy Hitter

UPDATE: Finding out more info about how Virgin nickel and dimes you into things like sim cards and now someone else told me I may have to pay to also activate the new sim on the new phone, even though I already have service on a device. Is this for real? This is their business model, making you pay for every little thing that should be standard customer service items? I don't have a solid confirmation on this, but it looks like it might be right when you look at device swap and one of the steps is activate and next is payment, payment for what? JUst amazes me, had great service for a year, then after that, customer service just took a nose dive, even sprint, best buy and others have said they move more and more people off of virgin, and virgin runs on sprints network, so not sure what that says about the whole thing. Other then that, still no service on new phone, still no customers service or help, pretty much a joke at this point.